Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In
Chapter Invisible
Blog Home All Blogs
This Page Is Dedicated to Members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. who have passed away. These members have passed into what we affectionately call the Chapter invisible.


Search all posts for:   


Ronald L. Stewart

Posted By Administrator, Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Ronald L. Stewart, 77

Ronald L. Stewart of Blue Bell, Pa., and Vineyard Haven, died on August 26 at his home on Martha’s Vineyard. He was 77. Mr. Stewart was a senior business executive and leader in the pharmaceutical industry for 34 years. He died in his sleep; his death was sudden as he had not been ill.

Mr. Stewart retired in 1999 from Merck, a global pharmaceutical manufacturer. At that time, he was executive director in charge of long-term care, marketing and sales. Before joining Merck, Stewart worked for 24 years at SmithKline Beecham — now GlaxoSmithKline — in Philadelphia. There he held positions in marketing, national accounts, government affairs and human resources, eventually rising to vice president of corporate accounts.

Born in Philadelphia, he graduated from Northeast High School. He earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Cheyney University and a master’s degree in education administration from the University of Pennsylvania.

Mr. Stewart served in the Marine Corps before taking a job as an elementary school teacher in the Moorestown Township public schools. He lived in Moorestown for more than three decades before moving with his family to Blue Bell, Pa., in 1995.

He graduated from the Harvard University School of Public Health’s executive program in health policy and management, and was one of the first non-lawyers appointed to the New Jersey Supreme Court District Ethics Committee.

He was a member of the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacists, American Pharmaceutical Association, American Health Care Association and the Kappa Alpha Psi and Sigma Pi Phi fraternities.

Before he left Merck, Mr. Stewart was given a lifetime achievement award for his contributions.

He also received many awards for community service. The New Jersey General Assembly honored him for his work as chairman of the board of directors of Family Service of Burlington County. In 1999 he was named to the Philadelphia Northeast High School Wall of Fame.

"His larger-than-life presence, formidable intellect and practical sensibilities” inspired all who knew him, his family said in a statement.

Mr. Stewart enjoyed traveling with his wife, the former Ardelia Purnell, whom he met at Cheyney. For their 50th wedding anniversary, the two went to South Africa. Earlier, they spent time in Brazil, Italy and France.

But he was most at home sailing, golfing and puttering in the yard at his home on Martha’s Vineyard, where he spent more than 25 happy years with friends and family. "The day before he died, we talked about how much we loved the Vineyard,” said his wife. "I’m grateful that he spent his last day in the place he loved most.”

Besides his wife of 53 years, he is survived by a son, Maitland Stewart of Montclair, N.J., and a daughter, Adriane Stewart of Brooklyn, N.Y.; his mother, Mozelle Stewart; his sister, Brenda Stewart; his daughter in law, Elise Boddie, and his grandson.

This post has not been tagged.

Share |
PermalinkComments (0)

Bill Canty Jr.

Posted By Administrator, Friday, November 1, 2013
Updated: Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Bisby Canty Jr. was a deacon emeritus at St. Paul‘s
Baptist Church.

He died on Tuesday. Sept. 10, 20l3. He
was 72.  He was born on April 2, 1941 to Bisby
Sr. and Elizabeth Canty in Coconut Grove Fla.
At an early age. Canty was baptized at
Macedonia Baptist Church by the late Rev.
Finlayson. The Canty family relocated to
Philadelphia, where they joined St. Paul's
Baptist Church on Nov. 13, 1955.

Canty graduated from Simon Gratz High
School where he excelled in chess and foot-
ball. He was proud of being a member of
those teams. Canty was mentioned in local
newspapers several times as being a star

He graduated from Penn State University, where he earned a bachelor's in Education. He furthered
his studies at Temple University where he earned his master's degree in administration and
doctorate equivalency.

He married Loretta G. Corbin on June 25,1965. While working, serving God and traveling the world
together the couple enjoyed a beautiful life.

The Rev. Emeritus Arthur Lee Johnson ordained Canty as a deacon in I973.  His service included
serving as church auditor, extensive committee membership and chairmanship on the executive board
of the St. Paul's Fund. vice chairmanship of the E. Luther Cunningham Community House
Board of Managers and liaison deacon assigned to the community.

Canty received many citations and awards for his distinguished and dedicated
service. He was proclaimed deacon emeritus on Oct. 25, 2012 by the Rev. Leslie D.

His affiliations included Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity. inc.. Black Educator's Forum, Pennsylvania
State Alumni Association, Crab Group and the Georgetown Condominium Community. He was also a life
member of the NAACP and a board member of the YMCA

in addition to his wile, he is survived by his godson. Livington T. Johnson; sister-in-law, Adrienne W. Trice [Lorenzo]: special niece. Andrea A. Trice; brothers-in-law, Kenneth B. Corbin (Marion) and Elwood M-Corbin [Stephanie]; nephew-in-law. Mark B.Corbin and other relatives and friends.

Download File (PDF)

This post has not been tagged.

Share |

Mervyn M. Dymally

Posted By Administration, Thursday, October 11, 2012


Mervyn M. Dymally


Published: NY Times, October 9, 2012

Mervyn M. Dymally, who broke barriers as a black lawmaker in California and in Congress after moving to the United States from his native Trinidad at age 19, died on Sunday in Los Angeles. He was 86.

He had been in hospice care, his daughter, Lynn V. Dymally, said. Mr. Dymally became California’s first foreign-born black state assemblyman when he was elected in 1962, its first black state senator four years later and, in 1974, its first black lieutenant governor. In 1980 he became one of the first foreign-born blacks elected to the House of Representatives, where he served six terms representing Compton and other heavily black, low-income areas. He also led the Congressional Black Caucus for a time.
His success in winning office was rooted in his work organizing a new black Democratic base in areas around Los Angeles beginning in the 1950s and 1960s.

"This was a transformational period,” said Raphael J. Sonenshein, an expert in racial and ethnic politics in Los Angeles and the executive director of the Pat Brown Institute of Public Affairs at California State University, Los Angeles. "Between 1958 and 1962, the Democratic Party really came of age in the African-American community in California,” he said. The area’s minority population had long been marginalized, but as the political climate changed, it created opportunities for new leaders like Mr. Dymally, Mr. Sonenshein said.
"If you came in from the outside and were able to put things together, it was fertile territory,” he said. "He was a very effective organizational leader.”

Mr. Dymally’s rise partly paralleled that of Tom Bradley, who became the first black mayor of Los Angeles. But Mr. Bradley built a coalition from a rising black economic class and liberal whites; Mr. Dymally, by contrast, galvanized poor and working-class residents and labor unions. He worked to improve health care for the poor and sponsored legislation to lower the state voting age to 18 and to expand civil rights protections for women. As lieutenant governor under Gov. Jerry Brown, Mr. Dymally joined Cesar Chavez in trying to protect farm workers from automation, which was taking away jobs.

Mr. Dymally was often trailed by accusations of corruption, including that he took bribes, but he never faced criminal charges. In 1978, he was defeated while seeking re-election as lieutenant governor after a television news report that he was going to be indicted. The indictment never happened, and two years later Mr. Dymally was elected to Congress after two other candidates had split the white vote in a Democratic primary.

In 2002, a decade after he retired from Congress, he was elected to fill the same Assembly seat he had won in 1962. He served three terms and lost a 2008 bid for State Senate.
Mervyn Malcolm Dymally was born May 12, 1926, in Bonasse Village in Cedros, Trinidad. His father was a Muslim of Indian descent. His mother was a Roman Catholic of mixed racial heritage. He eventually made it to Southern California, where he graduated from California State University, Los Angeles, and later earned master’s and doctoral degrees at other schools.

He taught special education in Los Angeles schools before entering politics.
Besides his daughter, Lynn, he is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Alice Gueno; his son, Mark; three sisters, Marjorie, Courtney and Hazel Dymally; two brothers, Bing and Malcolm; and three grandchildren. A marriage to Amentha Isaacs ended in divorce.

Lynn Dymally noted that even as her father embraced the struggles of American blacks, his own racial identity was complicated. She said that his marriage certificate to his first wife lists him as Indian, but that his race is described as "Negro” on her United States birth certificate.

Late in his life, as California became more diverse, he told his daughter, "You know, it’s strange, people are now referring to me as of Asian descent.”
Ms. Dymally added, "He always considered himself black or African-American even though there were distinctive qualities about him that would have made some people think he was Indian.”

Download File (PDF)

This post has not been tagged.

Share |
PermalinkComments (0)

George William Hickman Jr.

Posted By Cheyney A. Sparks, Thursday, October 11, 2012
Updated: Tuesday, December 10, 2013

George William Hickman Jr.


There is no better example of humanity, inspiration and love than the life lived by George William Hickman, Jr.  August 6, 1924 - August 19, 2012

He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Education with a minor in Engineering from Bradley University in Peoria, IL. He had a successful 30-year career with the Boeing Company as part of the Minuteman Instructor Group. Active in the Seattle community, his service included: Special Olympics volunteer organizer, Seattle Catholic Youth Organization coach, President of St. Joseph's Catholic School Board, member of the Catholic Archdiocesan School Board, and Vice President of the Seattle Black Catholic Lay Caucus. George received the Fulcrum Foundation's champion of Catholic School Education honor in 2008. He was also a 63-year member of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity.

After retiring, George worked as an event staffer with the University of Washington athletic department, and also later with the Seattle Seahawks. He received the 12th Man honor from the Seattle Seahawks during their Veterans Day weekend game in 2011. George was also selected by the Seattle Mariners to throw out the first pitch in their game against the Boston Red Sox in May of 2009. He received the Congressional Goal Medal in 2007 for his service as a Tuskegee Airmen in World War II.

George is survived by his wife, Doris Baptist Crawford Hickman, daughter Regina Hickman Melonson, daughter Sherie Hickman Gaines, son Vincent Hickman, and daughter Shauneil Hickman Robinson. George has three sons-in-law: Wayne Melonson, Vincent Gaines and Dean Robinson; five grandchildren: Ryan, Jeffrey and Jordan Melonson, Deanno and Lucien Robinson; two great grandsons: Jameir Melonson and Lucien Robinson, Jr.

Funeral Services will be held on Thursday, August 30th, at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, 732 - 18th Ave East, Seattle, WA at 11:00am.  In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Husky Athletic Scholarship Fund in memory of George Hickman. Donations can be made online at (select Intercollegiate Athletics-Scholarship Support-Athletic Scholarship Fund).Donations can be mailed to: Tyee Club, Box 354070, Seattle, WA 98195, payable to The University of Washington.

Published in The Seattle Times on August 26, 2012


 Attached Files:

This post has not been tagged.

Share |

Dr. Calvin Shirley

Posted By Cheyney A. Sparks, Thursday, October 11, 2012
Updated: Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Dr. Calvin Shirley, early black doctor, left legacy of service

June 25, 2012 | By Robert Nolin, Sun Sentinel

For nearly half a century, he treated patients in a poor black neighborhood, dispensing medicine in return for bartered vegetables, birthing thousands of babies, and battling the disease of racism.

"I could have gone on the other side of town," he once said. "But I'm a poor doctor, and I'm not ashamed of it."
Calvin Hylton Shirley, 91, one of the first black doctors in Broward County, died of natural causes Saturday at Broward Health Medical Center, where he was the first black staff physician in the 1950s.

Dr. Shirley's life spanned the era of segregation to the election of the nation's first black president. Broward's first black ob-gyn, he estimated he helped deliver more than 6,000 babies, operating out of a humble office off Sistrunk Boulevard. In 1996, Fort Lauderdale named the street that runs by his office Dr. Calvin H. Shirley Road.

"If no one's here to take care of people in this part of town, the germs will spread," he said. "So somebody ought to be close by."

Dr. Shirley grew up in Pensacola and graduated from Florida A&M University, where he played trumpet in the school's famed marching band. After serving as a Navy corpsman in the Pacific during World War II, he earned his medical degree from Boston College of Physicians and Surgeons.

In 1947, Dr. Shirley and his wife, Jeannette, a nurse, moved to Fort Lauderdale and he joined the staff of Provident Hospital, a blacks-only facility. Two years later he opened his own office, where patients often traded beans, tomatoes or other goods for treatment.
Along with the three other black doctors in town, Dr. Shirley sued to be permitted on staff at Broward General Hospital, now called Broward Health Medical Center. In the 1960s, he and his wife helped establish a county Health Department branch in the Sistrunk neighborhood. The pair also developed the curriculum for Broward's first school for licensed nurses.

When blacks were excluded from the beach in the '60s, Dr. Shirley led "wade-ins" to integrate the shoreline. He also served as team doctor for Dillard High School, was active in the Elks Lodge, played trumpet at his church and in the Broward College orchestra and dedicated much time to volunteer work.

"Everything was community for dad," said his daughter, Jasmin, an administrator with Broward Health. "We always had to share dad with the community."

Dr. Shirley kept serving patients well into his 70s, retiring in 1998. He then spent time at a beach house in New Smyrna Beach, golfed and enjoyed recreational vehicle travel.
In addition to his daughter Jasmin, of Fort Lauderdale, Dr. Shirley is survived by another daughter, Carmen, of Plantation, a physician; sons Calvin Jr., of Melbourne; John Walbridge, of Fort Lauderdale; and Cedric Hylton, of Plantation; and five grandchildren. His wife predeceased him in 1989.

Download File (PDF)

This post has not been tagged.

Share |
PermalinkComments (0)
Page 4 of 5
1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5