Ezra Dee Alexander
Dr. Ezra Dee Alexander
Founder Ezra Dee Alexander was an outgoing and dedicated worker. He was fondly known as “Dee,” was born in Bloomington, Indiana, on July 18, 1891, and was the second eldest of seven children.
Alexander graduated from Bloomington High School in 1910. He matriculated to Indiana University in the fall of 1910 and graduated from Indiana University in 1917 with an A.B. degree. Prior to graduation, he held positions as a teacher and principal at Indiana public schools. He received his M.D. from the Medical School of Indiana University in 1919. Alexander served an internship at Provident Hospital in Chicago in 1920. Alexander served in the Army Medical Corps during WWI and as a medical examiner during WWII. He practiced medicine in Indianapolis for nearly 50 years.
In 1920, he married Mary Hunter, an Indianapolis Public School system teacher. They had a son, Ezra D. Alexander Jr., who became a member of the fraternity, and a daughter, Dorothy Alexander. He later married Leota Snorden in 1961.
Alexander served 22 years as a non-voting member of the Grand Board of Directors to fulfill a requirement of the Constitution and Statutes that at least one of the directors was an Indiana resident. Alexander presented and dedicated the new KAΨ flag at the 47th Grand Chapter Meeting (1957). He was one of three Founders who helped establish the Indianapolis (IN) Alumni Chapter. His affiliation with the Indianapolis (IN) Alumni Chapter lasted until his death on September 29, 1971. He is buried at Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis, Indiana.