Guy Levis Grant
Guy Levis Grant
Founder Guy Levis Grant was small in stature but was a giant in charitable endeavors and a preserver of history. He was born in New Albany, Indiana, on April 9, 1891, and was the third of thirteen children, five of whom became members of the fraternity. When his father died, he became head of the household and assumed responsibility for educating himself and his siblings.
Grant attended public schools in his hometown, graduated from Scribner High School in 1909, and entered Indiana University. While there, he majored in chemistry, graduating with an A.B. degree in 1915. In 1920, he received a D.D.S. degree from Indiana Dental School, then a part of Indiana University. He practiced dentistry in Indianapolis for over 50 years.
In 1929, he married Laura Hammons, a cousin of Founder Byron K. Armstrong. He was a veteran of World War I, was the Founder and President of Recorder Charities, and was active in several civic, professional, and business organizations. He was also a member of the Second Baptist Church in Indianapolis.
Grant helped to establish the Beta Chapter and joined Founders Diggs and Alexander to establish the Indianapolis (IN) Alumni Chapter in 1920, and was its first Polemarch. He served several terms as a non-voting member of the Grand Board of Directors and as Grand Historian. Grant gathered bits and pieces of Kappa history for several years to accumulate a recorded history for posterity. This archive collection became the factual supportive base for the written account of the Fraternity’s history.
The 2nd Edition of the Story of Kappa Alpha Psi® was dedicated to him. Following 16 years of dedicated service as the Grand Historian, the Fraternity conferred the title of Grand Historian Emeritus upon him at the 54th Grand Chapter Meeting in 1967. The Guy Levis Grant Award is named in his honor and is bestowed to undergraduate members of the fraternity who exhibit extra meritorious contributions to the Fraternity’s advancement. Grant died on November 11, 1973, and is buried at Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis, Indiana.